Monthly Archives: December 2009
Challenge Rules and Regulations:
1. This challenge is open to all. Employees and management (including any immediate family members) of Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort are not allowed to participate.
2. All photographs for the contest must be taken within the 780-acre resort at KM36, Miri-Bintulu Road, Miri, Sarawak.
3. Photographers may use analog or digital cameras.
4. Only colour prints in 8R size are acceptable.
5. There are two categories:
Category (1) Landscape/Wildlife/Nature.
Category (2) Facilities/ Building/ Food & Beverage
6. Photographers may submit any number of photos. But colour prints must be submitted in total of 5 photos, minimum two from each category. One of the photos must be a photo of any buildings within the resort.
7.Photos must be submitted together with a CD (please put your name on CD) with the appropriate images. The size of the digital image shall be at least 2MB.
8. All owners of the photographs shall grant full and exclusive copyright of their submitted photos to Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort.
9. All photographs submitted are not returnable and shall remain the property of Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort. However the copyright of the photos remain with the photographers. Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort reserves the absolute rights to reproduce, utilize, publicize and exhibit the photographs in whatever form and medium and in whatever venue, without prior notification and further payment to the photographers.
10. Photographers submitted for the contest must be taken from 10 December 2009 to 30 January 2010, within the Resort’s premises.
11.Participating photographers will need to register with the Resort (at Sales Office located at Lot 101, Airport road, Miri (c/o Syarikat Kai Nguong Nursery (M) S/B 8.00am-12pm and 2pm to 5pm on weekdays). Please submit a photo ID, registration form and pay refundable deposit of RM50.00. The Resort will issue one unlimited free day pass for the participants only (valid from 10 December 2009 to 30 January 2010). The
deposit will be refunded when entries (CD and 5 copies of color prints) are received. Please return day pass.
12. All expenses incurred are the sole responsibility of the photographer. The Resort will provide discount to participants. Discount only valid from 01 January 2010 to 31 January 2010. All participants are entitled one night single/double standard room with breakfast at RM100.00++ per room/per night. Subsequent nights from RM130.00++ per room/per night (with breakfast).
Participants enjoy 30% off for all food and beverage. Any additional room(s) from RM130.00++ (with breakfast) per room/per night and 30% off for all food and beverage.
13. The organizer and the Resort shall not be liable to any loss or damage of personal belongings, including camera and its equipment, and/or any bodily injuries due to accidents within the Resort’s premises.
14.Photographs submitted for the challenge must be the original work of the photographer. They must not have won prizes in any other contest nor have they have been previously published in any form of media elsewhere.
15. Each set of photographs must be submitted with an entry form. Multiple entries can be stored in just one CD for submission.
16. Entry form and registration form can be downloaded from www.BorneoRainforestResort.com and www.mirips.com.my. Photocopy of the entry forms are acceptable. Forms are available from 10 December 2009.
17. A photographer may submit any number of entries, however each participant will only qualify for ONE prize, in each category.
18. Photographs will be judge on the basis of composition, clarity, technique, content, colour and caption. The judges have the option to change the judging criteria without prior notice.
19. Only slight adjustment/enhancements which are restricted to sharpness, colour balance, curve, level and contrast of the submitted photos are allowed. Photographs failing to adhere to these guidelines will be
20.) The decision of the judges is final and no queries on the result will be entertained.
21. The organizers shall not be responsible for photographs damaged or lost during mail. Proof of posting is not proof of receipt.
22. All prizes must be collected personally at a prize-giving ceremony on 06 February 2010 at 7.00pm at Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort.
23. There will be a model shooting competition at 9.00am, 07 February 2010.
24. All entries must reach the following address on or before 30 January 2010:
Borneo Tropical Rainforest Photography Challenge 2010
Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort
c/o Syarikat Kai Nguong Nursery (M) S/B
Lot 101, Airport Road
Or Postal Address
P. O. Box 1893,
Resort Contact: Clement Chin 019 8859053, Lily Law 013 8341893, Steven Hii 019 8489891
Miri Photographic Society Contact: Siew Teck Chai 019 8843690, Leong Siew Kuan 019 8840668
Click here for more info & Registration Form.
Canon has issued firmware updates for its EOS-1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III and 5D Mark II cameras to provide compatibility with the wireless file transfer units. The 1D series cameras gain compatibility with the WFT-E2 II unit while the 5D Mark II gains WFT-E4 II support and lower noise when shooting Bulb exposures. Meanwhile the WFT-E2 and E2A firmware is also updated to allow use with the 1D Mark IV.
Nikon Europe today announces a new super telephoto lens to replace the AF-S VR NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED. The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II features the new generation of Vibration Reduction technology (VR II) and a new A/M focus mode, making it an ideal choice for sports, action and wildlife photographers. This lens is designed for those who are serious about photography.
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager Lenses, Accessories & Software, Nikon Europe says: “The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II comparatively light weight and compact dimensions make it a perfect choice for hand held super telephoto photography, particularly when used with a teleconverter. The new VRII system offers four or more stops of compensation, and makes this a really practical solution for the news and wildlife photographer”. The evolution of the NIKKOR lens reflects a commitment to developing a range of products tailored to photographers’ needs, and it strengthens the line-up of high-performance NIKKOR lenses.
Sharper action images
The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II features the second generation built in Vibration Reduction (VRII), providing the ability to shoot at shutter speeds up to four stops slower so sharper images can be achieved when using the camera for hand-held shooting. In addition, the new A/M mode added to existing M/A and M modes enables autofocus priority even if the focus ring is being handled during shooting. Weighing in at 2,900g this is a lens that ticks every box for those who are serious about action photography.
Built for any environment
This super telephoto lens is designed with the photographer in mind and has the same excellent optical system as its predecessor. Those who need extreme speed and quiet to capture wildlife, can rely on the autofocus with a built-in silent wave motor to ensure you won’t disrupt the action. To top off the extensive features,, this lens is also sealed to withstand the affects of dust and moisture, allowing photographers to keep shooting whatever the conditions. Finally, the lens construction features eleven elements in eight groups, including three ED glass elements and Nano Crystal Coat.
Read more at dpreview
Nikon Europe is launching the new AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III, the world’s first teleconverter with an Aspherical lens element. With a completely new optical design it is designed to offer class leading image quality for wildlife and sports photography in a compact form factor.
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager for Lenses, Accessories & Software, Nikon Europe says: “For many photographers using a 2x teleconverter has meant sacrificing image quality for practicality.” He adds, “The ground breaking optics in the new AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III are designed to offer photographers great images when they need to extend the reach of their NIKKOR telephoto lenses.”
World’s first teleconverter with Aspherical lens element
The AF-S Teleconverter TC-20EIII is the world’s first teleconverter with an Aspherical lens element, which delivers brilliant image quality in an easy to handle package. Completely compatible with the latest VR, autofocus and metering coupling systems, the AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III is a ‘must have’ addition to any sports or wildlife photographer’s kit.
Built for professional demands:
The new AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III is designed to provide a seamless fit with the NIKKOR range of compatible telephoto lenses, and features rubber seals for body mount, tough release mechanism for intensive use and an oversized button for fast removal with gloved hands. It comes with newly designed caps and a practical storage pouch to protect it when not in use.
Teleconverters are attached between the camera body and telephoto lens to multiply focal length without affecting closest focusing distance. This magnification factor comes at the cost of reduced light transmission which reduces the effective minimum aperture of the lens in use. The AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III reduces aperture by two stops. So when attached to an f/2 aperture lens (such as the AF-S VR 200mm f/2G) the minimum aperture becomes f/4.
Read more at dpreview
Another Panorama HDR Photography ~ Lembangan Multi-Storey Carpark Complex, Sibu. This photo took me some time to finished it…..
Sigma has added its Optical Stabilization system to its popular 17-70mm fast standard zoom lens. The 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM will be available in Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Sigma mounts. The latest version offers a slightly wider aperture at the long end of the zoom though gains weight and length and has a slightly reduced maximum magnification ratio. Adding image stabilization to a lens that already combines a comparatively fast maximum aperture range is likely to make it an even more tempting replacement for the kit lenses supplied with most DSLRs.
Large aperture standard zoom lens designed for digital SLR cameras.
- Minimum focusing distance of 22cm at all focal lengths
- Integrated Optical Stabilisation system
- Aspherical and ELD glass elements
- Large aperture of F2.8 at the wide angle setting
- Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensuring silent, high-speed AF*
The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM.
This large aperture standard zoom lens offers an aperture of F2.8 at the 17mm focal length and is ideal for many situations such as portraits, sports, macro and general photography. The OS (Optical Stabiliser) function offers the use of shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower than would otherwise be possible. For Sony and Pentax mount, the built-in OS function of this lens can be used even if the camera body is equipped with an anti-shake function. As the compensation for camera shake is visible in the view finder, the photographer can easily check for accurate focus and ensure there is no subject movement. The maximum aperture of F2.8 produces an attractive background blur and improves autofocus speed.
This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 22cm (8.6 inches) throughout the entire zoom range and maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.7, making it ideal for close-up photography. It is possible to focus as close as approximately 4.7cm from the tip of the lens to the subject making this lens particularly useful for close-up photography.
Three aspherical lenses and one ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion) glass element provide excellent correction for all types of aberrations. High image quality is assured throughout the entire zoom range. The Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting and provides high contrast images. The incorporation of HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet and high speed AF. This lens has a rounded 7 blade diaphragm which creates an attractive blur to the out of focus areas of the image. The inner focusing system eliminates front lens rotation, making the lens particularly suitable for using the supplied petal-type lens hood and circular polarising filters.
*Autofocus on Pentax version only available on K10D and newer bodies offering HSM/SDM support.
Read more at dpreview